As a Topology Senior User Researcher (IxD), you are on the front lines with customers because you care about making the lives of users better, you strive to listen to their needs and to understand their challenges. Once you do, you jump into action with your team and your peers to define superior solutions. As you gather numerous stakeholder perspectives, you continue our legacy of delivering exceptional and innovative products.
Day to day, your understanding of Topology, our customer's objectives, and your drive to execute makes you successful. That includes collaboration with internal and external customers, informing team priorities, and ensuring smooth communication among your peer product management teammates.
You’re hungry for novel challenges. We’re not building just another e-commerce experience; we’re at the cutting edge of AR-enabled commerce, of mass-customization, of shopping for a product where people typically feel a low level of confidence, and relying on a new activity (3D scanning) where they don’t have established norms of usage. Because we don’t have an IxD playbook to follow here, you’ll succeed only if you’re the kind of designer who likes to evaluate everything from first principles.
You are a pragmatic perfectionist. Sometimes, “done is better than perfect” so that we can start testing, or improving the daily experience of users, sooner than later. Sometimes, “do it right, or not at all” is the only approach to addressing a deeper user need. You have the experience and taste to know which is which, and the ability to shift between modes seamlessly.
You’re a user scientist. You’re as excited about testing your hypotheses around user needs and desires as you are about exploring new features.
What you’ll do:
- User Research — Leverage customer and market knowledge, contextual inquiry, and analysis techniques to inform and support design decisions.
- Participate and contribute to user interviews, discovery sessions, brainstorms, and design thinking workshops.
- Interaction Design — Work collaboratively with customers, product owners, and software developers using personas, story maps, sketches, wireframes, and interactive prototypes to define and communicate the user experience.
- Provide value through design thinking that intersects user centricity and business innovation.
- Create user experience deliverables including: journey maps, user flows, IA documents, data diagrams, and clickable prototypes.
- Design Validation — Perform pre and post-release usability testing to validate design decisions and efficacy.
- Evangelize User Experience best practices, strategies, techniques, and methodologies.
You have the following:
- 5+ years of experience
- The ability and passion to tell stories with data, verbally and visually using your excellent interpersonal skills and oral and written communication skills
- Strong ability to recognize and predict use cases and user interaction, including happy path as well as edge and corner cases, and incorporate them into designs.
- The passion for exploring multiple avenues and iterating based on the journey down the best avenue
- Proficiency in Figma, Sketch, Omnigraffle, Adobe Creative Suite, Invision, Powerpoint, and Keynote
- The professional demeanor to communicate and articulate with business owners and with users
- Capacity to excel both independently and within a collaborative team environment
- Ability to deliver deadline-driven quality work with grace and a healthy sense of humor
Interested? Apply to this role on AngelList.
When it comes to eyewear, one size does not fit all. But despite the fact that everyone is different, stock eyewear is only made for one mythical “average” person. They simply were not made for you. That’s why it’s near impossible to find glasses you truly love—glasses that look exactly the way you want and that never pinch, create red marks, and slide down your nose. At Topology Eyewear we are solving this problem for billions of people worldwide by creating custom-tailored glasses. We do this by making each pair one at a time, perfectly sized and shaped for one person at a time.
HR General Manager
We’re looking for our first People hire. Part recruiter, part policy-writer, part performance coach, part culture builder, you relish the startup mantra of “wearing many hats” and you want to apply it to building an MVP of a first-class talent organization from the ground up. Initially, you’ll spend about half your time on talent acquisition, and the other half on building the infrastructure for a talent management organization that scales.
You’re deeply empathetic, able to identify with and advocate on behalf of the range of personality types, backgrounds, and skill sets that we have the privilege of working with. As part of a vertically integrated company, you’re working with everyone from our entry-level manufacturing line operators to future members of the executive team, equally focused on job satisfaction, performance development, and growth opportunities for each.
You’re highly strategic in your approach. You’re thinking six months or a year ahead to where we plan to be, and working backwards to figure out the organizational design changes that need to take place between now and then (including within the talent organization itself). You relish the opportunity to design the right HR organization (or sub-organizations) from first principles.
You love thinking about culture. As we’re growing out of the stage where most employees knew at least some customers at a time by name, we want to maintain that personal connection to improving our customers’ lives across the whole company, and you enjoy brainstorming the right combination of values reinforcement, rituals, and rewards that create that personal connection to our mission in each context.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 3+ years of HR experience
• Experience in a startup environment, preferably a startup that has gone through a hypergrowth / rapid scale phase
• Ability to build trust, remain accessible, and handle sensitive situations and data
• The ability to self-manage, the desire to come in and evolve our thinking on what your role and your department should be
• A passion for learning—there will be curveballs in this role, and you should look forward to conducting research, reading blogs, attending conferences, etc., to stay ahead of the challenges coming our way
• Exceptional organizational and communication skills (both written and verbal)
• Additional experience in recruiting / sourcing preferred
• Experience overseeing HR for hourly employees strongly preferred
Interested? Apply to this role on AngelList.
A dedicated iOS developer. You will reach out because you want to work on something that is not just another table view!
Here you'll join a picked team of other experts building an unusual app -- an app that pushes the limits of the iPhone's capabilities, that enjoys a true business imperative to be beautifully designed, and that will be one of the coolest apps on your phone.You have previously been a leading team contributor, or built apps solo. You know Swift (or are eager to learn it after a decade of Objective-C). Maybe you have lectured or written books on iOS. You can get the job done in bash, Python, JS, or whatever comes up. You've probably also experimented with Haskell, Clojure, F#, or Ocaml. But you dream in Cocoa Touch.
You know your Auto Layout from your springs and struts, your MVC from your MVVM, but most of all you also know the basis for your own judgments.You are excited about new tech and about old tech, about tech that works, and about finding the intersection between them all.If this is you, we want to meet you!
In short, iOS is critical to Topology. Our app does a lot right now, but we've got a lot still to do! The video above dates from the very ancient past (a year ago?). Check the App Store to see where we are now. These days, you will also be working with delightful @erikfoss and @gregheo!
We are hiring for both permanent full-time and short-term contract roles.
Reach out to Alexis on Twitter. P.S. Extra nice if you also have special interest or expertise in computer graphics, augmented reality, machine learning, or ecommerce.
Topology Eyewear is looking to add a Contract Mechanical Engineer to assist scaling our production operation.
This role is a blend of CAD skills, programming skills and ingenuity. You'll utilize the equipment that we have in the shop to rapidly prototype and develop production-ready fixes. You'll dive deep into our complex 3D modeling process and architect out future ways of handling the massive amounts of parameters that are generated.
This job is for you if:
- You're an efficiency nut: you dream about tools you could build (or code) to simplify every day tasks
- You're a scientist: Form a hypothesis and design an experiment to quantify improvements
- You strive to make little improvements between every unit shipped, while constantly architecting out future processes and solutions
- You’ll be expected to absorb both new skills and knowledge like a sponge
Candidates must have:
- 3+ years of experience; preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Own the entire process of designing tools and fixtures: from designing parts in CAD to fabricating and outsourcing parts, to assembling and making parts yourself
- Ability to recognize areas requiring improvement and implement processes for better control
- Ability to pick up tasks quickly and then operate as the residential expert
- Self-starter than can work with the team and close on assigned tasks
- CAD proficiency while showing balance between aesthetics and manufacturability
- Solid fundamental engineering principles in design, materials, process, GD&T, process capability
- Some experience programming (in any language)
Bonus points for:
- CAM experience
- CNC Experience
- Experience with laser cutters and/or laser markers
- Six-Sigma and GR&R principles
- Design of Experiments methodologies
- Design Portfolio
- Programming skills in any of: C, C++, Objective-C, Swift, Python, visual basic
Interested? Apply to this role on AngelList.